West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE)
West Bengal Board of Secondary Education, WBBSE
The West Bengal Board of Secondary Education was established by the Government of West Bengal in 1951 under the Act of the State Legislature called the West Bengal Secondary Education Act of 1950. WBBSE is the main body which looks after the education system in the 10+2. The council has its main office at Salt Lake, Bidhannagar, Korunamoyee, Kolkata along with 4 regional offices.
Back then, the board had only two duties to perform I.e. to regulate, control and develop secondary education of the State, and to conduct the School Final Examination. But over the years, the Board has taken up the responsibility for the publication of text books for different classes as well according approval to books from private authors and publishers for their introduction in different schools including books in Santhali (a tribal language), Nepali and Urdu catering to specific linguistic demands. The research and review of text books are done by panels of independent experts to ensure strict quality control and maintain standard.
The West Bengal Board of Secondary Education has always strived to achieve a people-friendly visage for this:
- All examination related works and other administrative works save the management of schools are being done by the four Regional Council offices in Kolkata, Burdwan, Midnapore and North Bengal from 1974.
- Conducting of Camp Offices in districts for distribution of examination related papers to the students and the concerned schools.
- Publication of results of Secondary Examination in the WEBSITE.
- Operating help-lines during examination.
- Publication of Parshad Barta, a periodic organ (from December 1974) which acts as a forum for sharing of experiences and views.
Primary Objectives of WBBSE:
- To promote and develop the aspect of secondary education in the state of West Bengal.
- To act as the advisory organ to state government on the matter of scientific advancement of secondary education.
- To take steps to recognize High Schools especially girls' high schools so that students including girl students and those from far flung areas get opportunity to study after completion of their primary education.
- To frame curricula and syllabi in consonance with the rapid changes in the socio-economic milieu of the country and the world.
- To conduct the secondary examination Better known as Madhyamik Pariksha after completion of class X which becomes the first public examination in the students' life.
- To frame rules in order to ensure smooth transparent democratic and disciplined management of the schools which are recognized by the Board. By virtue of its position in the middle tier WBBSE also strives to harmonise, coordinate and linkup the activities of West Bengal Board of Primary Education and West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education.
WBBSE Examination Resources:
Vidyakul brings you exam resources to ease out your West Bengal Board Exam preparation and make you score maximum marks.
Click on the links below to know more: